Lucy Wanchun Leith is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a concentration in fashion design at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
Her work explores the borders between ritual and obsession, escapism and false protection. Inspired by running, parachutes, mountains, and the idea of home, her designs are made for the modern nomad living between reality and a fantasy world.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Bachelor of Fine Arts, 2014-present
Pre-College Summer Program, 2013
2016 Reflexion, Garfield Park Conservatory, Chicago, IL
2015 ArtBash, SAIC, Chicago, IL
2014 Sysematic Paradox, Vermont College of Fine Arts, Montpelier, VT (co-curator)
2014 National YoungArts Exhibition, Miami, FL
2014 Vermont Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Exhibition, Brattleboro Museum &Art Center, Brattleboro, VT
Generator VT Sewing and Patternmaking Instructor, Burlington, VT
- Teaches students how to make 3-dimensional fabric models from 2-dimensional paper patterns
- Teaches middle and high school students through the King Street Youth Center
Kate Donnelly Artist and Teaching Assistant, Burlington, VT
- Supervised dozens of young artists ages 6 to 12
- Coordinated Prep work for performance Crossing Pine
Documented performances through photos and videos. Created and edited a multimedia project using Adobe Premier.
BCA Center Gallery and Visitors Services, Burlington, VT
- Gallery Volunteer
- Interacts with the public, assists with installations, and provides general support to gallery staff.
Swarovski Launch SS/16 Project, NY NY, Chicago, IL
- Assistant to designer
- Beaded, sewed, and assembled pattern pieces for four different pairs of designer shoes.
SAIC Buonanno Contemporary Practices Scholarship Nominee, 2015
National YoungArts Foundation Finalist and Silver Award Winner (Design Arts), 2014
Scholastic Art and Writing Awards National Silver Medal (Art Portfolio), Regional Gold Key, 2014
United States Presidential Scholar in the Arts Semifinalist, 2014
Textile Maker Treats AI to Fashion Taste
From Flora to Fashion: SAIC at the Garfield Park Conservatory